Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Using backquote/backticks for mysql queries

Programmer Question

Hi,



I've been having a dilemma for a while now, so I said I'd see what you guys thing before I rest my case.



Ever since I started playing with MySQL I was building query how I though was "the right way", with backticks.



Example:



SELECT `title` FROM `table` WHERE ( `id` = 3 )


As opposed to:



SELECT title FROM table WHERE ( id = 3 )


I think I got this practice from the Phpmyadmin exports, and from what I understood, even Rails generates its queries like this.



But nowadays I see less and less queries build like this, and also, it seems the code seems messier and more complicated with backticks in queries. Even with SQL helper functions things would be simpler without them; so this is why I'm considering leaving them behind.



But first, I wanted to find out if there is other implication in this practice that should affect my decision, such as SQL (MySQL in my case) interpretation speed, etc.



So what do you think?



Find the answer here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails