Friday, September 3, 2010

OOP in VB.NET - Child, Parent, Parents

Programmer Question

I'm trying to do something here with VB that I guess I'm not understanding how to do it exactly. Sorry I'm not that good at OOP.



I have a number of things I'm creating and they have two values - parent name and child name (yes, actual people!).



So it would be like this:



Public Class Child
Public Property ParentName As String
Public Property ChildName As String
End Class


And then:



Public Class Parent
Public Property ParentName As String
Public Property ChildName() As String
End Class


Then I need to add these to a Parents class where a Parent can have one or more children.



I start by adding a Child. If that child's Parent name already exists, just add the Child's name to that parent, but if it doesn't exist, create a new parent (with that child). Then add all parents to a collection of parents (with their 1 or more children).



A resulting list would look something like this:



Parents:




  1. Parent: Jonathan Murry

    1. Child: Carl Murry


  2. Parent: Kathleen Anderson

    1. Child: Steven Anderson

    2. Child: Deborah Anderson

    3. Child: Thomas Anderson


  3. Parent: Xu Jing

    1. Child: Liu Ming

    2. Child: Liu Ning




(note on the last one - the parent/child last names don't need to match - in this case, the children take the father's last name instead of the mother's, but we don't list the father).



How would I create these type of classes so that I can add children to a parent, add a parent to parents and then ensure it is querable with something like Linq?



Thx in advance.



Find the answer here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails