Wednesday, September 29, 2010

BOT/Spider Trap Ideas

Programmer Question

I have a client who's domain seems to be getting hit pretty hard by what appears to be a DDoS. In the logs it's normal looking user agents with random IPs but they're flipping through pages too fast to be human.. also don't appear to be requesting any images. I can't seem to find any pattern and my suspicion is it's a fleet of Windows Zombies.



The clients had issues in the past with SPAM attacks--even had to point MX at Postini to get the 6.7 GB/day of junk to stop server-side.



I want to setup a BOT trap in a directory disallowed by robots.txt... just never attempted anything like this before, hoping someone out there has a creative ideas for trapping BOTs!



EDIT: I already have plenty of ideas for catching one.. it's what to do to it when lands in the trap.



Find the answer here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails