Friday, April 23, 2010

Windows XP Rejecting Digital Signature

Programmer Question

I don't want to see unsigned driver warnings while installing a driver, so I'm trying to digitally sign a driver using signtool, inf2cat, and a Software Publishing Certificate. Vista x64 requires the drivers to be digitally signed or it flat out rejects them, but I have managed to get Vista x64 to accept the driver, so I know I'm doing the process correctly.



However, I repeat the process for the Windows XP x86 driver. inf2cat and signtool both return successful results, signtool verifies the digital signatures, right-click -> properties on the file verifies the digital signature too.



However, when I go to load the driver in Windows XP, it still prompts me with an unsigned driver warning. Why does XP consider the file unsigned, but Vista does not?



Find the answer here

1 comment:

  1. Quite an interesting question. I didn't have faced this kind of problem but after reviewing the problem statement what I think that in Vista the policy is bit loosened because of which it is working well on Vista and creating problem in XP.
    digital signature

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails